Tuesday, September 20, 2005

While driving this morning...

Today asserted itself in a fashion such as California is wont to have in the fall from time to time. The sky was full of clouds, like a billowy whipped topping spread out to each horizon. As I drove down I-5 towards seminary the sun had begun to warm the backs of some clouds and created a mottling of pale yellows and blue-edged grays. I thought to myself that a day is much like a fire – born in pale yellows and dying in fierce reds as of smoldering embers. Against this backdrop every road sign, power line tower, and roof ridge stood sharp against the sky as though their shapes had been knifed into the heavens and the distant night air allowed to shaft through the rift.

Alone in my thoughts and in the enjoyment of this view, I found myself suddenly drawn to a singular shape in the clouds ahead and just to the left of my direction of travel. The gently smoothed clouds were here disturbed. Like a gentle river which, when scraped over shallow rocks, creates eddies and whirls before regaining its composure, the sky had in this place a similar appearance. It seemed as though something just above it was eager to break through. And then I was overtaken by a sudden longing.

Oh to have seen my Savior break through those clouds this morning! I was somewhat surprised at how fully and deeply this desire gripped me. Staring into those clouds I was reminded of how dearly we as believers in Jesus are to hold the hope of His return. Do you find yourself looking skyward with the knowledge that one day those heavens will bend, tilt and sway beneath the weight of their Creator as He arcs from heaven to earth, not as a humble child, but as a conquering King? Do you find yourself anxious to ascend into the ether above to there join with He who loves you best that He might take you to where you shall most truly and forever be at home, a land in which righteousness may dwell? Think on Him often today, let your heart be glad knowing that His coming is soon! Let not the troubles of this day create such a cloud over your countenance that joy can find no vestige.

I backed my car carefully into a parking space along the wash beside the seminary. Slinging my backpack over my shoulder and straightening my tie, I stepped out into the rain which was falling. I walked the space of 300 yards or so between my car and the seminary building wondering how long the rain would hold up. Soon, I knew, the clouds and rain would be gone. There are already doomed – destined to be burned away before the heat of the noonday sun. And so shall all clouds of sin and death, of pain and hurt, of frustration, sickness, and sorrow be burned up one day – doomed to be seared from the life of every believer by the loving heat of the Son.

1 comment:

Tony Kevin said...

wow, man... That was one of the most uplifting things I have read in a long time. Your words have restored my sanity this morning. Here I am, sitting in a cubicle for eight hours at a computer talking to people who don't want to talk to me... and the first thing for me to do is to get discouraged... But your post has really, truly, honestly encouraged me to think on Christ and know that He is coming... not to rescue me from a desk job (cause' I'm beginning to like it...) but He's coming to rescue me from sin and burn it away like those morning clouds... thanks brother... thanks a lot.